The Power of a Barcada: A Legacy of Friendship and Love

 

Dear Readers,

This past weekend, we said our final goodbye to a memorable man, husband, and father-  Uncle Danny Raymundo Soriano.  Him and his wife, Elvie,  have been reunited last week as they both battled cancer the last few years.  This couple was instrumental to my childhood.  They were one of my parents' best friends and faithful supporters to all of us Tanyag kids growing up.   I mean- faithful- in all milestones from birth to my wedding to the birth of all my kids.  Uncle Danny and Auntie Elvie were always there- through it all.  

The story of their "barcada"  or a close group of friends (in Filipino culture) starts in the days of the US Navy.  My mom said that she would always see Uncle Danny and Auntie Elvie out fishing in Texas, but they didn't get to be close friends until my parents moved to Norfolk.  They sponsored Auntie Elvie and Uncle Danny to live on base with them until they found their own place.  Auntie Elvie was the reason why my mom could work outside of the home because she watched my eldest three siblings with her two sons during the day.  Even when Elvie and Danny found their own apartment, she would let my mom drop off the kids on her way to work. They became so close in friendship that they were like sisters.  The Sorianos and the Tanyags were not the only families in that small baracada that started in Norfolk, VA in the 70s.  In fact, the Silos, Dela Rosas, and Frias families were included too.  They mingled together in parties, raised their children together, and kept up with each others lives.  Over the years,  the barcada expanded and grew to include many more families and friends.  Their children had children and their children had more friends.  

Going to my Uncle's funeral this past weekend reminded me of the power of a barcada and the impact that the barcada has had on my life.  Uncle Danny and Auntie Elvie were like picture perfect role models of what hospitality, love, and friendship should be like.  They were wonderful, kind, CHILL, people and they seemed to really enjoy themselves together.  I found myself just wanting to emulate all the positive memories I had of them showing up in my life.  In fact, I wanted to be joyful  at his service because he was just a joy to be around- all of the time.  Also, I am thankful that he is with Auntie Elvie again because they were literally best friends.   I have such an appreciation for my husband and marriage because I hope to always be like them in many ways- always best friends and always together.   

In your passing, Uncle Danny,  you have brought so many people together who have come to know and feel your love here on Earth.   Your barcada loves you and Auntie both.  Thank you (and your sons/family) for a great farewell and service.  We will miss you, but know we will see you again in heaven.

Love you.  Always,

Crystal

Comments

Popular Posts